COULD THE MADE IN THE USA ACTIONTRAX RECOVERY BOARDS BE A MAXTRAX KILLER?
TRAIL REVIEW & COMPARISON
When off-roading, having a well-equipped recovery kit is crucial for a safe adventure. Recovery boards, such as ActionTrax, are an essential component of this kit.
Whether you’re an experienced off-roader or a novice adventurer, they are indispensable and can even help overcome obstacles on the trail.
There are tons of options available in the market ranging from popular brands like Maxtrax to cheaper alternatives on Amazon. Up until recently, there were no recovery boards made in the USA, but not anymore! Keep reading to see why ActionTrax is a top contender.
WHO IS ACTIONTRAX?
ActionTrax is a company based out of Kansas, USA where they are built in-house. The company was founded by a desert racing airplane mechanic with the help of friends and family. With their innovative and unique design, they are guaranteed to perform out in the bush.
KC Steiner’s (the owner) life took an unexpected turn when he was presented with an incredible opportunity to work as a mechanic on a desert race team. Little did he know, this experience would lead him on a remarkable journey in the field of recovery gear.
During his time on the race team, KC encountered various recovery situations that demanded reliable equipment. As they traversed towns and races across MX, NV, CA, AZ, and NM, they became intimately familiar with different recovery gear options. This is where he became familiar with recovery boards and saw an opportunity to make a difference in the industry.
Eventually, KC partnered with DuPont, and extreme temperatures and challenging conditions became their testing grounds. They pushed the limits of the materials and were determined to create a product that could withstand the harshest environments.
ActionTrax is a testament to their unwavering commitment to quality and innovation. They have been rigorously tested in real-world scenarios, surpassing expectations and setting new standards for recovery gear.
WHY RECOVERY BOARDS ARE IMPORTANT
A set of recovery boards, such as ActionTrax, is important when off-roading for several reasons:
- Traction Assistance: Provide additional traction in challenging conditions such as mud, sand, snow, or other soft surfaces.
- Self-Recovery: This can be particularly helpful when you are in remote locations or are on solo adventures.
- Versatility: They can also be used as ramps, bridging small ditches, or leveling out your rig for camping.
- Lightweight & Portable: Typically made of durable materials like high-density polyethylene, they are lightweight and easy to deploy.
- Safety: Recovery boards are off-road insurance that provides peace of mind for the recovery of both yourself and others.
Remember, while recovery boards are useful tools, it is essential to understand how to properly use them. Familiarize yourself with the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations for safe and effective operation.
Additionally, it’s always recommended to go off-roading with a friend or inform someone about your plans and expected return time.
WHAT MAKES ACTIONTRAX DIFFERENT?
Made with unique materials and packed with innovative features, ActionTrax sets a new standard for recovery boards.
High Quality Material
This specially formulated material exhibits incredible flexibility even under extreme weights, freezing temperatures, and sharp rocks. It can withstand the harshest conditions without compromising its structural integrity. ActionTrax features extreme material memory, allowing it to snap back to its original form after every use.
Sawtooth ends provide superior traction when properly positioned. They enable users to insert the recovery boards even when there is no vertical space between the ground and a sunken wheel.
Polymer & Metal Teeth Options
ActionTrax offers two models to cater to different preferences and requirements. The standard model comes with polymer teeth, providing excellent grip and durability. For those seeking enhanced strength, the upgraded version features 72 stainless steel teeth.
Both models can be easily upgraded to the metal teeth version using off-the-shelf US hardware and a 1/4″ drill bit. Each tooth is designed with a center punch for drill alignment, and the spacing is pre-set for standard 1/4″ hardware.
The grab points on each board are thoughtfully designed to accommodate a wide range of users, including those with larger hands or wearing gloves. Additionally, vibrant color options allow users to express their style and enhance visibility during use.
Proudly Made America
ActionTrax is manufactured in Wichita, Kansas with high-quality materials sourced in the USA.
The three valuable ways recovery boards can help recover a vehicle:
- Traction: For better grip on surfaces like wet rock, mud, or snow.
- Flotation: To better distribute the weight of the vehicle on soft surfaces like sand, snow, or mud.
- Clearance: Provide additional ground clearance to overcome obstacles.
Proper use of recovery boards goes as follows:
- Clear the Area: Remove any mud, snow, or sand that is touching the frame or undercarriage of your vehicle. You can also use boards as makeshift shovels.
- Position Traction Boards: Place traction boards in front of each tire.
- Adjust Tire Pressure: Lower tire pressure to 15-20 PSI to maximize the surface area in contact with the ground.
- Feather Gas Pedal: Slowly press the gas pedal without aggressively spinning the tires. Let the traction boards and tires work together to gain traction.
- Drive Off Carefully: Gradually roll your wheels up onto the traction boards. As your tires gain traction, slowly drive the vehicle off of the boards to avoid launching them.
- Repeat If Necessary: If your vehicle gets stuck again, don’t worry. Rinse and repeat the process until you reach stable ground.
ActionTrax offers some unique innovations in the world of recovery gear and proudly generates local jobs. They represent a commitment to quality and supporting American manufacturing.
With its flexible yet resilient material and customizable teeth, these boards exceeded my expectations. I would recommend them in a heartbeat for your next off-road adventure, as they are the ultimate recovery board in my opinion.
Written by Arsh Sidhu